Ancient Wisdom to Cool Down in a Modern World
In the ancient nutrition and preventative medicine practice of Ayurveda the elements of air, space, fire, water and earth are looked, in considering ones health, at as much as the person's symptoms. Presently we are in the fire (pitta) element season- aka the heat of the summer. We cannot change the actual temperature, but we can adjust our own body's fire energy to help balance us. To keep your body’s constitution balanced and in good health, follow the below suggestions. www.jkzenwellness.com
1, Avoid hot & spicy foods- instead choose cooling foods like a watermelon and mint salads, and gazpacho.
2. Take your workout down a notch. Refrain from doing high intensity workouts and stay away from workouts that add false heat like heated yoga or heated spin classes. Instead opt for a Vinyasa yoga flow or weight training. Or walks/jogs in the early cool morning or evenings.
3. If you cannot give up your high intensity workout or heated workout class, do it first thing in the morning before the heat of the day rises. If you can get it in before sunrise, even better!
5. Take rests and/or mid0-day naps, allowing the body to cool down and rejuvenate.
6. Use cooling oils, such as coconut oil, to moisturize your skin instead of traditional heavy body creams.
6. Eat fruit
7. Drink room temperature beverages, especially water all day to keep you hydrated and cool.